Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Crepe Batter

I have a handful of weird Turkey Day traditions.  One of which is that, since I live near the airport, I host a super early breakfast of crepes filled with Thanksgiving themed goodies.  The batter also makes a frabjous way to dispose of leftovers afterwards.  Turkey crepes, stuffing crepes, crepes filled with cranberry sauce or spiced sweet potatoes.  You get the idea. 
This is also the foundation of my holiday French connection.  During this season, all of my cooking starts to take on a bit of a French edge, and by French I mean full of unapologetic butter.  Yeah butter!  So I also add flax seed mill to almost all baking.  Trust me, it’s not healthy, it’s just good. 


2 cups skim milk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
½ cup flax seed mill
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a bowl, whisk the milk with the melted butter and eggs. Mix the flour and salt in another bowl. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour. I refrigerate the batter overnight, but you can cut it down to just an hour if you need to.

To cook, pour a scant ½ cup of the batter into a large skillet on medium heat and slowly tilt pan to coat the bottom with batter.  When crepe slides around easily in pan, flip.  Crispy or tender is a personal call, so how long you leave them over heat is a bit of a learning curve.  Then just fill and roll.  Sooo yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment